Monday, March 21, 2011

Proof on Main

Proof on Main
702 W. Main St.

I was super excited to draw Proof on Main from our trusty lunch box.  While I had been to Proof on numerous occasions for late night drinks, I had yet to actually try the food.  For those of you who are not familiar with Proof, it is the nationally acclaimed restaurant & bar inside the trendy boutique hotel 21C on West Main Street (the building with the red penguins).  In my opinion it is one of coolest spots in this fine city and one of the few places in Louisville that can lure me outside the boundaries my beloved Germantown.
The lunch menu, although small, offers a wide variety of items.  Even the pickiest of eaters could find something to eat here from soup and salad to bison and seafood.  Man 1 and I both decided fairly quickly that we would have the bison burger, while Man 2 went out on a limb with the bison Reuben.    

While we waiting for our food our server noticed us checking out the six large canvases hanging in the restaurant each depicting a woman or women in six very different situations.  He immediately came to discuss the art with us.  He explained that the artist, Monica Mahoney, created this series called “Women Walking” using images she had seen in obscure independent and foreign films.  He then encouraged us to create stories about the women in the pictures.  Of course we filled the time until our food arrived concocting various twisted and bizarre stories about these women in the paintings.  It was definitely a creative way for us to entertain our selves at lunch.
Anyway, enough about art, back to the food… 
The bison burger was so good that I I didn’t even need to add any condiments and coming from a gal who loves her sauces that is saying something.  The burger was served with a side of a heavenly sauce that I used to dip my fries in.  I recall the server telling us something about apricot jelly being a main ingredient in the Jezebel sauce, but I am fairly certain that the secret ingredient must have been angel tears. 
The real surprise of the lunch was the bison Reuben.  Now, by no means am I a Reuben connoisseur so I cannot attest to the comparison of this bison version to an actual Reuben, but I can say this sandwich was amazing.  Layers of thin sliced bison meat topped with a faux sour kraut made of squash and a traditional sauce, sandwiched between two slices of hearty toasted rye bread.  I traded Man 2 half of my burger for half of his sandwich and had no post lunch regrets about that.  I feel like the Reuben was so rich and savory that it would have been a challenge for anyone to finish the entire enteree, including Man2!

*LPG lunch Tip* Find a lunch buddy to share lunches with.  Man 2 and I usually trade sandwich halves this way we can try a variety of things. I probably would not have been drawn to the Reuben, but now it is what I will order when I return
It seems that whenever I draw a restaurant I make it my mission to get dessert at lunch.  I was really excited to draw Proof because I have been longing for their gelato ever since I first heard about their summer gelato cart. I chose the caramel and sea salt gelato and I must say it was well worth the wait.  In three words it was DEE LISH OUS!  If you go to Proof DO NOT leave without trying one of their gelati you will not regret it.
Overall, this is kind of an expensive lunch but for the price it is great food and a great atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment